I have a pretty short bucket list. I am fascinated with flowers and landscapes so three of my top bucket list items are to:
- see the rice fields in Vietnam
- visit the lavender fields in France
and go to the tulip festival in the Netherlands.
Every spring you see the perfect image of tulip fields and I made our Amsterdam trip land at a time that I knew the Keukenhof tulip gardens would be open for business. The gardens open in late March and run through mid-May (this weekend is the last open weekend!) and are worth every single penny.
- How to get there: From Amsterdam central you can take a bus out to Schiphol and then a bus from Schiphol to the gardens. The bus tickets (round trip) + entrance to the gardens is only €29 and can be purchased here.
- What to wear: Good walking shoes. These gardens are HUGE.
- What to eat: Bring food. We made the mistake of not bringing food and wow we were hungry. By the time we got back to Amsterdam we were all starving.
- How long will this take?: We arrived at around 12:30 and stayed until about 5 p.m. We could have spent much longer, but were getting quite hungry after all of the walking. Like I said above, bring food!
- When to go?: We went in mid-April and the flowers were jut beginning to bloom. I suggest going towards end of April for the best blooms.
Why should you put these gardens on your bucket list?
Despite the fact that it was rainy, cold, and windy, other than maybe my wedding day this was one of the best days of my life. The combination of breathtaking views, flowery smells, cold refreshing air, and the slight smell of rain in the air brought tears to my eyes. Enjoy the pictures below with quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson who also had a deep appreciation for nature and get to booking your trip to the Netherlands to see these gardens next spring.
The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.
Adopt the peace of nature: her secret is patience.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
The Earth laughs in flowers.
Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting.
I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty.
Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it.
What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered.
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
Have you ever been out to Keukenhof? Comment below with your tips and tricks for a great day in the garden paradise!
– Boots not Roots